Do you love to sing?
If you’re wondering about how to become a member of SWGMC then read on…
Who can join:
- We welcome all aspiring singers regardless of previous experience. At least half of the current chorus had little to no musical experience before they joined SWGMC, but this has never been a barrier to membership. We pride ourselves on being open, welcoming and accessible, and rehearsals are deliberately conducted in a way that everyone can understand, even if you can’t read music. And if you ever find yourself struggling then our fabulously talented musical team will be on hand to give you guidance and help get your confidence back. The main thing is to have fun while singing, which is what we’re all there for!
When and where:
- We hold dedicated Open Rehearsals for new members twice a year, usually in the Norwegian Church down in Cardiff Bay (our “special occasion” rehearsal venue). These rehearsals are open to anyone who’s interested in singing with the Chorus and are a great opportunity to meet current members and see what’s what. There’s also normally quite a lot of cakes and snacks on offer – just in case that piques your interest any further.
- As well as the Open Rehearsals, aspiring members are welcome to come along to any of our usual Thursday night rehearsals at Roath Church House on Waterloo Road in Roath, Cardiff. Rehearsals usually last from 7.30pm to 9.30pm and are usually followed by a trip to a nearby pub.
- If you are planning to come along for one of these regular rehearsals then we would recommend you email us or drop us a tweet (@SWGMC) beforehand so that we know to expect and welcome you. This is also useful since rehearsal times and venues can vary for certain weeks so we recommend contacting us to confirm where and when we’ll be rehearsing. Please also bear in mind that in the run-up to a concert the Chorus will be rehearsing existing music rather than learning new songs, so aspiring members may be better off waiting until the next Open Rehearsal (which usually happen quite soon after our concerts) before joining.
- Although we don’t require previous choral experience, we do ask that members commit to the choir and attend rehearsals regularly. Members pay a subscription fee of £8 per month (correct as of 30/09/16 – please ask treasurer to confirm) which covers general Chorus expenses, including venue hire and the purchase of music. New members are not required to pay the subscription fee for their first month as a member (i.e. the first month of membership is free to try out the SWGMC experience) but will be required to pay thereafter.
- Please email us for more information, including details of our next Open Rehearsal. We look forward to meeting you!
Do you have an event?
South Wales Gay Men’s Chorus are available to hire for singing at private events and functions.
The availability of the Chorus to sing at your event will depend on our rehearsal and performance schedule. We would therefore recommend that you contact us well in advance of your event so that we can confirm availability and decide on a suitable program.
The hire fee includes a flat fee deposit and an additional fee per song. For more information please contact us on the details provided below. We will provide a list of songs from our extensive repertoire for you to choose from. If you would like us to sing something that isn’t in our current repertoire then please let us know and we will try to accommodate your request, however as noted above the capacity for the Chorus to learn new songs will depend on our existing schedule.
Secretary Contact Details – firstname.lastname@example.org
Media & Publicity
South Wales Gay Men’s Chorus is a public, open and community-minded group of singers and regularly participates in public events and concerts, including Cardiff Pride/Pride Cymru. We also perform fundraising activities for the benefit of our nominated charity or cause, which for the year 2016-2017 is Out and Proud Cardiff.
We are proud of our community involvement and passionate about our music, and we strive to use our talents and reputation to display a positive image of gay and bisexual men in all that we do.
We are happy to be contacted in relation to public events and concerts, or in relation to any other matters regarding Media and Publicity. Please direct enquiries to email@example.com
Suggestions or any other queries?
Please contact us using the form below or any of the above contact details.
We’d love to hear from you!